One of the most exciting parts of my job is being able to meet fathers all over the country. Yet time and time again, they often say to me, “Do you have any tips that will help me to better communicate with my teen? When I ask them questions all I get is a grunt, ‘nothing,’ or an ‘I don’t know.’”
When it comes to building conversation with teenagers, many dads don’t know where to start. So, to help get you started, I’ve created this list of conversation starters for you.
- If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you travel to?
- Who is your best friend?
- What would your perfect day consist of?
- What is your favorite memory of us?
- What qualities are you looking for in a spouse?
- If you could be any animal, what would you be?
- What is your most embarrassing moment?
- If you could meet anyone, dead or alive, who would you meet?
- What is your dream job?
- If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- What was your favorite book when you were little?
- What is your earliest memory?
- What is the first thing on your bucket list?
- Would you rather live on the beach or in the mountains?
- If you could star in any movie, what movie would it be?
When it comes to building conversation with teenagers, many dads don’t know where to start.
What are some other questions you can ask to get to know your teen? Leave a comment with some of your own question ideas below.