In marriage, there are certain things that you can “agree to disagree” on and other things that you absolutely must agree upon. A husband and wife must agree on the following.
1. You are married for life, no matter what; except possibly for unfaithfulness, abuse or abandonment. Therefore, the “D” word, divorce, should never be used.
2. Your marriage is a top priority and you will do whatever you need to do to strengthen it.
3. You will strive to meet the sexual needs of your mate. Sex will not be withheld as punishment or because of lack of interest.
4. You will always be honest with your spouse and will speak the truth in love. That means no secrets.
5. Whether you would like to have children and how many you would like to have.
6. Where you will live and what you will live in.
7. When and how you will discipline your children.
8. You and your spouse will always honor your parents and in-laws, but you and your spouse, not your parents or in-laws, will make the decisions in your marriage and for your children.
9. How much you will spend, save and share.
10. Whether you will have debt and, if so, what kind and how much you will allow.
11. Who you will worship and where you will worship.
Which of these areas is toughest for you and your spouse to agree upon? When conflict and disagreements arise, here are a few ways to protect your relationship during conflict.