Over the last few years, Susan and I have dropped off three of our kids at college. Each time was hard. Each time I cried all the way home. Like a lot of parents sending their freshman to college, Susan and I wondered, “Did we prepare them well? Did we do enough? Will they remember and put into practice everything we taught them?”
Whether your college student is a brand new freshman, away from home for the first time, or a senior counting down the days of their final year, staying connected with them is vital to your relationship. [Tweet This] It’s a relationship that is changing with each passing semester from one of a final authority to one more of counselor, coach, and encourager.
That can be hard, but thanks to today’s technology, it’s easy as ever to simply use things like FaceTime, Skype, and text messaging to stay connected to your husband, your wife, or your kids and grandkids, as I’ve blogged about before.
With that in mind, here are 10 text messages to send to your college student in the first 10 days of the upcoming new semester:
- I can remember being anxious and uncertain of this time and age. Keep your chin up and your eyes on the prize. Proud of you!
- I am cheering you on all the way from home. Can you hear me? I respect your pursuit of your goals. Go for it!
- The first weeks of this college adventure can be tough. Don’t be shocked and don’t panic. You’ve got this.
- We miss you so much, it’s true. But we also know you’re where you’re supposed to be.
- Remember that the friends you choose in these first days will be as or more important than the classes you choose. I know you can choose wisely.
- No matter how fantastic or horrible this day has been for you, I love you, always, no matter what. Just wanted you to remember that.
- In your new adventure, hold each day loosely. Leave room for unexpected surprises and delights.
- Just thinking today of some things about you that always make me smile. I thank God for our memories together.
- I just wanted to let you know that I’m honored to be your dad.
- I’m always here for you if you need a listening ear. I love you!
What other messages have you sent to your college student that encouraged them? Share your examples below.